|An Interview With Paul Van Dyk|
1. In producing your artist album, "In Between," what has served as your musical inspiration?
Everything i see and experience is an inspiration, so life in general.
2. You grew up in East Germany before the fall of the Berlin Wall, how did you get exposed to Western music that was considered forbidden at the time?
I was lucky enough to grow up in East Berlin. So i was able to listen to west Berlin radio stations.
3. Who do you think is the most influential DJ/producer at the moment?
There is no one who's the most "this" or "that". Electronic music is a global music culture. Everybody is part of it and part of the evolution of sounds.
4. Being consistently on the top five of the DJ magazine Top 100 DJ list, how important do you think being up there has been towards your success as an artist?
As i always said, it is an honor to be on top of the list, but it never changed my approach towards my music. I am very passionate and enthusiastic about what i do and this will always be the case.
5. You've collaborated with hundreds of artists worldwide, who was your favorite to work with and why?
Many friendships have developed out of the collaborations but it has always been fun with the "rock guys" because of their somewhat different approach towards music.
6. Of all the venues that you've performed in, where was your favorite place and why?
I don’t really have just one favorite venue.
7. You're one of those people that despite your immense success, you never forget to give back to other people. What cause is the closest to your heart and why?
Supporting and caring for the next generations and kids from "unfortunate" backgrounds is a very important part of my charity work.
8. When you're not traveling the world and spinning records, how do you spend your time?
Just normal stuff, spending time with my family, meeting friends, watching television and i have 2 "crazy" dogs that i love spending time with.
9. What equipment do you usually travel with?
On stage i use 2 mac book pro computers, 3d a+h mixer, 2 emu keyboards, uc33 controller etc.
10. What kind of advice do you have for aspiring DJs / music producers?
Believe in your dreams, do what you want to do, this is the only way to be believable.
11. Any message for your fans in Cleveland?
Well. I always had a great time in Cleveland and I am very exited to be able to come back......so I would like to invite everyone to join what I believe will be another great gig for me in Cleveland.